Monday, October 10, 2011

Fall Apples

I love the Fall. I love apples, pumpkin and anything you can make with cinnamon. I love driving out to the country just to look at the trees dressed in autumn color. And I love visiting local orchards to pick my own apples. I've canned Apple Butter and Cranberry Apple Sauce. But this year I'd like to can Stewed Apples. I'm originally from Alabama and I remember my Nana cooking a large pot of apples on the stove. The result was heaven on a plate. Nana used a lot of sugar and I'm sure there's a way to do it with Maple Syrup or maybe just less sugar. If any of you have a recipe, I'd love to see it. Here's one I found online and below I'll put my Apple Butter recipe because it's wonderful.


Cinnamon Stewed Apples (www.myrecipes.com)
6 Cups chopped peeled tart apples
1/2 Cup packed brown sugar
1/4 Cup apple juice
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
1/8 tsp salt
Combine all ingredients in a large, heavy saucepan. Cover and cook over medium-low heat 45 minutes or until apple is tender, stirring occasionally. Let stand 5 minutes

Apple Butter
8 Cups apples, chopped & peeled
1/2 lemon, zest
3/4 tsp cardamom, ground
3-4 tsp cinnamon
3/4 Cup maple syrup
1 Cup apple juice
Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, remove cover and simmer 20-25 minutes until excess liquid has evaporated. Cool slightly. Place apple chunks in a food processor and process until smooth. Mix back into the pot. Heat again if you are canning.

No comments:

Post a Comment