Monday, April 23, 2012

When Mary Must Learn from Martha

Most of the time Martha gets a bad rap. She was the one busy in the kitchen while Jesus imparted nuggets of wisdom and love. Mary sat at His feet and drank it in. When Martha asked Jesus to tell her sister, Mary, to help her, He responded that Mary had chosen the better part.

It's true we have a tendency as Westerners, especially Americans, to do-do-do. We appreciate action, so we'd rather jump up and act than sit and learn. Often we don't even prepare for our actions. We might skip the research or the practice needed to make our actions valuable. There are great lessons for us to glean from Mary, sitting at the feet of Jesus, putting aside the daily chores for a time to sit in His presence. We should never forget that lesson.

But there are those of us who enjoy meditation and Bible Reading more than action. We pride ourselves on being the ones who choose the best part. But we should beware because even as our heads are inflating due to our wise choice, we may become lazy and find we have produced nothing.

There is a time to get up and move into action. I don't know if Mary in the Bible had all that in the right balance or not, but I realize I don't. I'd much rather pray than do. It's so much easier. I can do it from the comfort of my soft couch.

I have great excuses like, "The Lord hasn't given me a burden yet," or "I don't feel the passion needed to sustain action. I'll wait until I feel it." Or maybe I just don't know what to do, so I do nothing.

Recently I've been gleaning from my good friend and boss, Becky. She is creative, always coming up with fun ideas to motivate and achieve. She can make a party out of anything. I'm learning from Becky that you don't have to feel something in order to do it. "You have to make your own passion," she said last week.

Take one step and then another and pretty soon momentum builds and you feel the passion for what you're doing, and others will too.

Becky also helped me realize that you don't have to wait until you know the exact thing that should be done. Just pick one need and begin to do something about it. Anything is better than nothing.

This advice may seem matter-of-fact to you, but it's a revelation to me.

Thank you Becky. We will miss you in S.A.

No comments:

Post a Comment