Monday, March 26, 2012

Can Mantras be Christian?

What do you think about Mantras?

I know the idea comes out of Eastern practices, especially Eastern meditation, but is there any use for them in Christian practice?

Like most things, a mantra is nothing in itself. What that mantra states, however can have a powerful impact on a person's life.

The things we repeat to ourselves everyday, are our mantras. In meditation we choose a mantra. For Christians it should be something biblical, something that builds us up spiritually. Outside of meditation, however, we often repeat unhealthy mantras to ourselves without even thinking about them.

"I hate my job."  "I'm so tired." "I feel like ----"

These may be some of the mantras that repeat themselves in your head. These negative mantras have power too. They become our constant chant. Here is where the devil gets a foothold. He may be able to convince us to make a bad decision in order to escape what we feel is a bad situation. He may be able to plant sickness into our body too.

Remember what Proverbs 23:7 says? "As a man thinks in his heart, so is he."

This week let's make it a practice to repeat something encouraging, something from Scripture to counter the negative thoughts each time one of them pops in our head.

"I hate my job."              "Thank you Father for providing a job for me in this down economic time."

"I'm so tired."                 "The Lord is my strength when I am weary."

"I feel like (fill in the blank)"   "But as for me, I will hope continually, I will praise You yet more and more." (Psalm 71:14).

What are some of the mantras that have helped you?
If you want this image for your wall, see tradingphrases.com

2 comments: