Thursday, February 3, 2011

Cholesterol & Flax

I recently learned that I have high cholesterol. This surprised me because I eat healthy and have for years. High cholesterol runs in my family, but I guess I thought diet alone would prevent the problem for me.

The nurse explained that I need to exercise more. Ah, that discipline is a little more difficult for me. But since then I've started a Tai Chi class (which I love, by the way) and tried to be more consistent and more vigorous in my daily exercise routine.
Learn more about Flax here: http://www.ag.ndsu.edu/agnic/flax/wales%203.htm

Today I read an article about Flax and the benefits it has for cholesterol, menopause and more.  I'd like to share it with you here. You can read this article and other short articles about herbs that heal at this link.

_________________________________________

Flaxseed for Menopausal Discomforts and Prevention of Osteoporosis and Heart Disease

Flaxseed (Linum usitatissimum) is rich in plant estrogens (phytoestrogens). At Laval University, Quebec, researchers gave 25 menopausal women hormone replacement therapy (HRT) or flaxseed (1.5 ounces daily mixed into food). Six months later, flaxseed relieved hot flashes as well as HRT. Flaxseed also mimics HRT’s bone-preserving ability. Oklahoma State researchers gave a placebo or flaxseed (1.5 ounces daily) to 38 postmenopausal women for 14 weeks, and measured calcium excretion in their urine, an index of calcium loss from bone. The flaxseed group showed decreased calcium excretion, meaning reduced bone loss. Recent research published in Drug News and Perspectives also suggests that flaxseed lowers cholesterol and risk of heart disease.
Dosage: 1.5 ounces per day, mixed into food.
Red Flags: Women who cannot take estrogen should consult their doctors before using flaxseed.
_________________________________________

Other things for lowering LDL cholesterol are garlic, fenugreek, chromium (nutritional yeast is a great source of chromium. Just mix a tablespoon into a small glass of juice or water and drink), niacin and, of course, exercise or other stress-reducing practice like yoga or tai chi.

Feel free to leave your own suggestions in the comments section.

No comments:

Post a Comment